Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Of Translators and Money Grubbers

George called late last night.  He is a retired medical Dr. from the US, 82 years old, who decided on a whim to come to Panama.  He moved out of an apartment recently, which left the landlady angry.  He speaks no Spanish, so when the contract was signed, he had no idea of what he was signing, plus, he was not given a copy.  Being the trusting sort, he went on with life.  George didn't know that he, being a North American, is a prime candidate for double charges since all North Americans own sky scrapers and practically grew up with one hand inside a bank vault.  He was being charged twice what his fellow leasers were paying.  Not a bad deal for the landlady.  The landlady arranged for a cleaning lady to come and clean.  The 250 sq. foot apartment with 1 bed, 1 table, 1 chair and a tile floor, and bare walls really didn't require a daily scrubbing.  The cleaning lady wanted to work full time making sure that George's apartment was clean.  After all, he probably keeps his skyscraper and bank vault back home in immaculate condition.  When George left, to take residence in an apartment for half the price with someone to cook his meals everything seemed fine.  Until last night.  He was cited to appear before the local justice of the peace.  The original landlord, being the money grubber that she is, (I speak from personal experience) had filed a case against George for several charges.  Evidently, she sold him a refrigerator for $150 that wasn't worth even $50, she claimed to have filled the refrigerator with food, paid taxi chargers, cleaning charges, etc.  Naturally, she did not have receipts.  When I asked to see the contract, the duration of the contract was written longhand, and again George had no copy. 
It was decided that George would pay several charges to the lady.  (He offered to return the refrigerator but for some strange reason, she didn't want it back.  Go figure)  So, what is my part in this?  Being a translator for a friend in need.  Sadly, the landlady is also a friend, (in spite of the fact that I knew she is money hungry from previous personal experiences) and I found myself between the two.

Moral of the story.... As I walked out the door to go to the meeting with the JP I asked the Lord, "What is the purpose of this?  I have dozens of things to do, much more important than deal with this case that really has zero to do with me.  I sensed in my spirit, what Jesus said.... "A cup of cold water in my name is a good thing.  Let me work out the details, you give your "cup" of translation, and I'll take care of the other points."
Fine, now I'm waiting to see how God uses all of this.  It will be exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home